Saturday, June 18, 2011

Team name change for Vegas, playing tired and other stuff....

Team Name
Well, as expected, the APA made us change our team name for the APA Nationals in August. Seems it doesn't matter that our team captain's name is Damien Davis and we had been calling him "Double D" for a long time. I guess the APA decided our name MUST be an innuendo. Anyway, because we were a wildcard team at "Cities" here in Birmingham, AL and we won, we decided on "Twist of Fate". "Double D's" will still be our team name locally.

I read the APA's previously banned name list and some of the names had me rolling on the floor laughing. I didn't understand why some were banned but maybe I'm just getting old and there was something implied in the name that I didn't understand.

"Milk Fed Veal": no clue
"Control Your Rock": nope still no clue
"Come Get Some": Seems like a stretch to ban it
"Poke And Pray": I guess you could infer a sexual innuendo in the word Poke but in the context it seems silly to ban it

Oh well, the name is changed and we're set for Vegas. Got the hotel and air reservations made and paid for. We're ready to rock this party!

Playing Tired
Anyone can tell you that playing tired will affect your game. It's definitely true. Last Monday night was a regular league night for my 8-Ball team. We had just come off a full weekend of high stress and little sleep. I actually got to sleep at 2:00am after everything was done Sunday night. We were all drained. When we arrived at the pool hall Monday night, we were happy but we were all dragging.

When I got to the table, we were down 2-1 and my performance didn't help. I couldn't string together a three ball run to save my life. I ended up losing 0-3 and to say I wasn't happy with my performance would be an understatement. I know I have to practice a lot more before Vegas!

Missing a Team Member
I failed to mention in the last post that my wife wasn't able to play with us in cities. Although she was part of the team, she only had eight lifetime matches in the APA so she was two short of the requisite ten. She was there with us of course cheering us on and once it was over, she was even given a trophy by the league operator. I thought that was a very nice gesture on his part since she was part of the team roster that made it to cities. My understanding is that even though she will have more than ten matches by the time we go to Vegas, she will still not be eligible since she wasn't officially on the roster that won cities. It's kind of a disappointment but understandable. She is looking forward to playing in some of the other singles matches while we are there.

No comments:

Post a Comment