Saturday, June 25, 2011

Playing a Two (SL2)

During pool league this past Monday night, I was paired against a player who was a skill level 2. In the past this has been certain doom for me. I don't know why but I have played very well against and sometimes beaten SL3's thru SL6's but twos have always given me a problem. I got off to a good start, winning the first two games and getting on the hill.

The third game was where things started to go awry. It seemed like every time I came to the table I was hooked. This was not due to any deliberate defensive shots on her part. I would make contact with one of my balls but generally left them in even worse position. It felt I would be better served just picking up the ball and handing it to her than to try and make contact and make matters worse. NINETEEN innings later I bobbled the eight ball in the corner pocket and left her an easy "gimme" to win the game. Double hill!

The last game I was shooting fairly well and had run out to the eight ball with my opponent still having four balls left. I left myself hooked behind one of her remaining balls with a difficult kick shot at the eight ball. Rather than take a chance scratching or pocketing the eight in the wrong pocket, I chose to give my opponent ball-in-hand. She missed her shot and left me hooked yet again. Again, I gave her ball-in-hand. She made one (I think) and then missed leaving me a shot on the eight ball which I promptly pocketed for the win. I FINALLY BEAT A TWO!

I know many people will read this and wonder what is so special about beating such a low ranked player. To me, it was the end of a long struggle against lower ranked players. Don't get me wrong. I love to beat a SL5,6 or 7!!! To be completely honest, I love beating ANYONE. I'm sure nobody enjoys losing.

In summary, I'm not sure exactly what the psychology is that caused me to play poorly against SL2's but I am hopeful that is now in my past. Now, bring on the SL7! I'm fairly certain that is the only skill level player that still eludes me. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment