Monday, August 15, 2011

Ten Things I've Learned Since Beginning Pool League


This is my inaugural post for PoolSynergy. I hope it is up to the standards you have come to expect from these blog posts. Samm Vidal Claramunt (aka Samm Diep) contacted me awhile back and asked if I'd like to submit an entry for PoolSynergy this month. How could I refuse? :-) So without any further ado, here is my list:

1. Be a student.
Just because someone is a low ranked player doesn't mean there aren't things you can learn from them. Sometimes you find nuggets of inspiration from unusual sources. If you see an awesome shot make a note and try to duplicate it later. I read an interview of Efren Reyes where he said he did something similar when he was starting out. If someone chooses to shoot a shot very differently than you would have, ask them why they did it that way (after the match of course). You'll find that most people are very willing to talk to you and help you along. Don't be afraid to ask!

2. Chalk! Chalk! Chalk!
I lost a match just recently where I didn't chalk, miscued and gave my opponent ball in hand. I honestly believe I could have run out if I had just chalked my cue properly prior to attempting the shot. I've seen low ranked players AND higher ranked players skip this simple task to their detriment. It only takes a few seconds to chalk your cue and it could mean the difference between winning and losing.

3. Stay down on your shot
When I was learning to play golf, a bystander watched me get in my stance and then completely miss the ball. He told me there are three rules in golf which I think equally apply to pool. The first was "keep your head down". The second was "keep your head down" and the third was "KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN"! I see so many people jump up immediately after stroking/poking the cue ball. They are so intent on the next shot they end up missing the current one. When possible, stay down until all the balls come to a complete stop. Obviously if you will be in the way of a moving ball, you need to move but most of the time it is not necessary. Stay down!

4. Have a pre-shot routine
This is something I have a lot of trouble with myself but it is important. Consistency comes from doing the same thing over and over. It can be good OR bad. If you practice doing the good things over and over and imprint these habits into your brain, your consistency will improve dramatically. Try to do the same things every time before you take a shot. You'll be surprised at the effect it will have on your game.

5. Don't be afraid to start your routine again
When I was first starting out, I was in a match and had already gone through my pre-shot routine. I was down in my stance and was ready to pull the trigger when someone passing behind me bumped my cue. Instead of getting up and going through my routine again, I just readjusted and because I was irritated I missed by a wide margin. If something distracts you or even if you just don't feel comfortable, GET UP! It only takes a few moments to take a breath, establish yourself and try again. It could be the difference in making or missing that important shot.

6. Nobody likes slow play
You should always take your time when making a shot but there is a fine line between that and being excruciatingly slow. I am definitely not saying you should not take your time but try to keep the flow moving. One individual in our league that I have played is VERY slow. Most people don't want to play him because even on an obvious shot he will walk around the table, look at the angle, walk around again, look at it again, etc. Maybe it's a tactic to annoy the other players and if so, it works. Try to be considerate of your opponent, the league time constraints (if any) and teammates. Slow play can make for some really late nights at pool league. This may be alright for Friday or Saturday night leagues but when you have to get up to work the next day ... well, I'm sure you get the idea.

7. Be a gracious winner
Too many times I see a player win and then start bragging about it. Yes, you should be proud of your win but have consideration for your opponent's feelings as well. If they played a great game and shot well, let them know it. Even if they didn't play well you can usually think of at least one great shot they made so congratulate them on it. You never know when you might want to get on a different team, play on another night or maybe the team you are currently on gets dissolved. People remember things like that and it could determine whether or not you get an invite to play on their team.

8. Don't be a bad loser
This goes a bit with #7 but if you lose, don't curse and smack your stick on the table, slam chairs or generally make an ass of yourself. Thank your opponent for a good match and take your lumps. NOBODY wins ALL the time. You don't have to like losing (and you shouldn't like it) but don't be a jerk about it.

9. Be considerate of others
If your opponent or someone nearby is about to shoot, try to avoid distracting them with loud talk, lots of movement, etc. I know this is not always possible in a crowded pool hall but make an effort. Everyone around you will appreciate it.

10. Alcohol DOES NOT make you shoot better
I couldn't count the number of people who make this claim. Let's get the facts straight. Alcohol impairs motor skills. Good motor skills are vital to good pool play. I don't care what anyone is telling you it just doesn't work that way. People who think this are living on that river in Egypt. You know the one ... "De Nile" (or denial if you prefer). If alcohol made you a better pool player, it would make you a better driver as well and we ALL know how that turns out. I'm not saying you can't have a few drinks with your friends at league. By all means, have fun! That's what we get into league for in the first place. Just don't think the more you drink the better you get because I can assure you the reverse is true.

Be sure to check out the other great articles about "Ten Things". I am sure you can find something in these to take your game to the next level!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Mark,

    I copied this and passed it out to my students. They've heard it from me now they will hear it from you!

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like #5.

    Thanks again for contributing this month. Looking forward to more great posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You nailed it. Really this should be printed and passed out at everyone's league night. Thank you for taking the time to make such a thorough and well thought out list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list Mark - welcome to PoolSynergy!

    ReplyDelete